EEG appointments are available on Wednesdays
We currently offer routine (20 minute), sleep deprived (1 hour) and prolonged sleep deprived (3 hour) EEGs on site at Brisbane Neurology. Reports are available within 24 hours.
This service requires a referral from a medical practitioner.
Preparing for an EEG
There are some things you should do to prepare for EEG:
- Don’t eat or drink anything with caffeine for 8 hours before the test
- You may be given instructions on how much to sleep the night before the test
- Bring a list of your current medications and over the counter medications or supplements
- Wash your hair the night before – do not use any styling products afterwards
- Do not drive to the appointment – ensure you have safe transport home especially if you are having a sleep-deprived test
The EEG scientist will apply electrodes to the scalp with paste. This is not invasive. You will be asked to sit or lie on a bed. At various times you will be asked to open and close your eyes. In some tests it will be expected that you fall asleep. Sometimes you will be asked to hyperventilate or flashing lights (photic stimulation) will be applied. After the test, the electrodes will be removed. You may still need to wash your hair properly when you get home.
If you have any queries about EEGs we are happy to talk to you before your test.
For queries please contact email@example.com